Philadelphia Nursing Home Worker Stole Resident’s Identity
NBC Philadelphia reported that a nursing home worker employed by Elm Terrace Gardens in Lansdale, PA appears to have stolen personal checks and credit cards from an elderly resident once that resident passed away.
The worker, who allegedly teamed up with a companion to rip off the resident, used those checks and credit cards to go on vacation, among other things. Police became aware of the theft and launched an investigation after receiving a concerned call from the bank where the check was deposited. The worker was apprehended at Philadelphia International Airport - on her way to a flight that was to carry off on her illegal vacation.
Signs and Symptoms of Elder Financial Abuse
Elder financial abuse or material exploitation is the illegal or improper use of a senior citizen’s funds, property, or assets. Awareness of scams affecting the elderly has risen in recent years due to campaigns by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), the National Center on Elder Abuse (NCEA), and the National Committee for the Prevention of Elder Abuse (NCPEA). The most common signs of material exploitation and elder financial fraud include:
- Unusual activity in a bank, savings, or investment account
- Unexplained withdrawals from financial accounts
- Checks written to a caregiver or financial professional
- Loans given to a caregiver or financial professional
- Addition of names to an elder’s bank account or ATM card
- Unpaid bills
- Changes to key financial documents, including last will and testament
- Forged signatures
- Large “gifts” to a caregiver or financial professional
- Disappearance of funds, property, assets, or valuables
- Isolation of the elder by caregiver or financial professional
- Reluctance or evasiveness by elder to talk about financial matters
PA & NJ Nursing Home Misconduct Law Firm
If you or someone you love has been the victim of nursing home abuse or neglect, please contact our team of nursing home misconduct attorneys toll-free at 215-462-3330 or via our online contact form.